CISC 457/3.0 Image Processing and Computer Vision
Original Author: Purang Abolmaesumi
Last Revised: October 31, 2006
Introduction to fundamental concepts and applications in image processing and computer vision. Topics include image acquisition, convolution, Discrete Fourier Transform, image enhancement, edge detection, segmentation, image registration, human contrast perception, colour perception and reproduction, stereo vision.
Prerequisites: Any first-year algebra course, any first-year calculus course, and CISC 124/3.0.
This course provides an introduction to computational approaches in image
processing applications. This includes the study of areas such as
techniques and algorithms for image enhancement and segmentation, image
registration, color image processing, and computer vision.
A review of the image processing applications, image formation, elements of digital image processing systems.
- Digital image fundamentals:
Image perception; sampling and quantization; basic relationships between pixels.
- Image enhancement:
Point processing; spatial filtering; enhancement in the frequency domain; Fourier transform.
- Image segmentation, representation and description:
Point, line and edge detection; segmentation by thresholding; region- based segmentation; image representation; chain codes; Fourier descriptors; moments; principal component analysis; introduction to image registration.
- Color image processing:
Introduction to color models; pseudo-coloring; applying image segmentation techniques in color images.
- Introduction to computer vision:
Basic camera model; epipolar images; stereo vision; disparity calculation.
- "Digital Image Processing Using Matlab", by R. Gonzalez, R. Woods and S. Eddins, 2004, Prentice Hall
- "Digital Image Processing, Second edition", by R. Gonzalez and R. Woods, 2002, Prentice Hall
- "Digital Image Processing", by K. R. Castleman, Prentice-Hall, 1996.
- "Digital Image Processing, Third Edition", by W. K. Pratt, John Wiley 2001.
- "3-D Image Processing Algorithms", by N. Nikolaidis, I. Pitas, Wiley-Interscience, 2000.
- "Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing", by A.K. Jain, Prentice-Hall, 1988.