Queen's School of Computing

Course Full, Not Offered, or Conflicts With Another Course

A course I need to take is full or isn't offered this year; what can I do?

The Undergraduate Chair might allow you to substitute another course. Otherwise look for an equivalent course at another institution, such as a correspondence course at Athabasca University; the following table shows Athabasca courses which are currently equivalent to (or might be used in lieu of) several CISC courses. You must apply for a letter of permission from Arts and Science before registering for a course at another institution. Equivalences are subject to periodic reviews; they may become inappropriate as course contents evolve. Note: You must have a C- in the prerequisites for the equivalent Queen's course before a letter of permission is allowed; you can't bypass Queen's standards with a Letter of Permission.

CISC 102MATH 309
CISC 124COMP 308
CISC 220COMP 325
CISC 226COMP 318
CISC 235COMP 272
CISC 320COMP 306
CISC 322COMP 410
CISC 324COMP 314
CISC 325COMP 482
CISC 332COMP 378
CISC 335COMP 347
CISC 352COMP 456
CISC 365COMP 372
CISC 447COMP 400
CISC 454COMP 390

Courses that I want to take have schedule conflicts; what can I do?

Queen's normally does not permit students to register in two courses with conflicting schedules. If the conflict is relatively minor, you may apply for permission to register in both in spite of the conflict. Permission from both instructors and the Computing undergraduate chair is required, and you may have to agree to specific conditions that depend on the details of how each course is organized in that specific term. Otherwise you should look for alternatives: a section of one of the courses in another term or on-line, a course that is an exclusion to the one you wanted to take and is likely equivalent, or a course that you can take by correspondence at another institution, such as Athabasca University; see the table above.