How do I request academic advising?
As of August 1, 2021, all academic advising is provided through a ticketing system similar to that used by ITS and the School of Computing technical staff. For most requests, please send email to our academic advising system.
Questions you may receive help with include but are not limited to:
- Problems with SOLUS such as "requisites not met" when you have checked that you do indeed meet all the prerequisites.
- Enrolment in courses requiring Permission of School, which are listed in the enrolment news.
- Requests to substitute other courses for the SODE writing requirement; supply the course, term, and instructor contact information so the Assistant can verify that the course is suitable (that is, 50% of the grade is derived from writing essays, essay-style test questions, term papers, and lab reports).
- Degree audits to verify graduation requirements. During the enrolment period (July through early September) we will only do audits for graduating students. Due to the high volume of email during this period, these may take longer than some other requests. You might wish to consult your Academic Advisement Report on SOLUS first. You are fully responsible for verifying that you will graduate; these reports are advisory only.
- Prerequiste waivers and requests to take a prerequisite course at the same time as one of its follow-on courses. These are rarely granted.
- Conflict waivers - identify all the courses involved, including their term of offering and section number (if any), and their instructors' contact information. The Undergraduate Assistant will take care of negotiating directly with instructors as to what conditions they will impose; they will be informed of your CGPA and grades in prerequisite courses, which are usually relevant to such a decision. Any of the instructors can refuse for any reason.
- Substitutions of one course for another in your plan requirements.
- Equivalences between Queen's courses and those of other institutions, for transfer credits.