Queen's School of Computing

General Questions about Computing Programs

Who are the academic advisers and program counsellors for undergraduate Computing programs?

The academic advisers and program counsellors are listed here.

How do I choose a plan?

Students choose a plan (e.g. Biomedical Computing, Software Design, etc.) after their first year. A cumulative GPA of 2.6 or above and a mark of "B" in CISC 121 or CISC 124 is required for admission into one of our plans. Students wishing to enter Computing and the Creative Arts (COCA) must also meet the admission requirements of their "sub-plan" department (i.e. Art History, Drama, Film and Media, or Music) and for Computing and Mathematics (COMA) students must also meet the requirements of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. Requirements for these departments, and more information about applying to second year, can be found here on the Arts and Science website.

Do I need to buy a computer?

Contrary to what you may have read, the School of Computing at Queen's does not require students to have a computer of their own. Computers are available in our undergraduate labs.

If you want to buy your own computer, we suggest you consider a laptop, for portability. Almost all of the software used in our courses runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux; you can choose whatever you think is best. Here are some suggestions for places to order a computer in Kingston:

To service Macs (or other computers) and iPhones:  iService

I am interested in studying Computing at Queen's. I would like to have some information on the programs that are available, and future careers that are available after obtaining my degree.

We suggest you check out the Undergraduate Applicants section of our web site. Also, the Arts and Science calendar contains up-to-date information about all of our programs. For information regarding careers, we suggest you contact the Queen's Career Services office.

Are part time or night school programs available?

Many students register as part-time students. The School of Computing at Queen's does not have the resources to offer more than 1 or 2 night courses. These are listed in the timetable.

If a program changes, do I have to follow the new version?

You will be allowed to graduate by satisfying the requirements for any version of a degree program in effect while you were registered in that program. This is called "grandfathering". Some old calendars are available on-line. If you want or need to "mix and match" requirements from two or more versions of a degree, you should consult the Undergraduate Chair.

What programming languages do you teach?

CISC-121/3.0 is taught using Python; CISC-124/3.0 and some of our upper-year courses are taught using Java. CISC-101/3.0 might be taught using Python, Java, or possibly another language. CISC-110/3.0 uses Adobe ActionScript. Some upper-year courses such as CISC-220/3.0 and CISC-320/3.0 use C or C++. Some courses use specialized languages such as LISP or PROLOG.